While I was in the shower this morning I did some thinking. (yes I do that sometimes – shower and think ) I was thinking about how much I loved summer when I was a kid. Setting aside my very unhealthy obsession with camp (hehe), I LOOVED summer and everything that comes with it. But then I realized, as a young adult and soon to be regular adult – the summer somehow got put on the back burner and became more annoying than fun.
Lets talk practically.
When I was a kid – I LOVED going swimming. I used to go to our community Pool and I didn’t have a care in the world that I was a rolly polly kid in a colorful bathing suit – because I LOVED swimming. I was a fish!! (a chubby one). As I got older – swimming became less about the deliciousness of the water and more about how I look in a bathing suit. And now as a married girl – let’s throw in the whole “do I cover my hair when I go swimming?” discussion. It kind of takes the pure joy out of the activity.
Now for the heat. As a kid – the warm air meant lighter t-shirts, sneakers so you can run around more. As a grown up – the heat becomes about how hot and gross you feel, and drinking water before you dehydrate. For those who have to get dressed for work, pantyhose for the workplace coupled with 100 degree weather just doesn’t work. And I wont even BEGIN to discuss the wig in the summertime. (I refuse to have that discussion) All in all – the summer looks differently on this side of the spectrum.
So what made me think about all of this?
Well, aside from the 95 degree sunny weather I’m having down here in the South, thanks to our Detox – its got me of reminiscing of the summer. Because we eat only organic, it forces us (ever so gently) to eat fruits that are in season. My husband brings home cartons of GORGEOUS strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, melons, kiwis, grapefruits peaches, nectarines, cherries, grapes etc. …. And as I am typing this I am biting into an orgasmic organic strawberry !!!!! (yes, they are THAT good!!)
As you know, Duby LOVES to make lists. (and she also enjoys talking about herself in 3rd person) So here is the first of the “Duby’s Lists” Segment!!! This is a list of 20 summer Stuff that Duby loved as a kid. …. What better way to kick off the summer months than to remind ourselves of the delicious pleasures that we enjoyed as small campers during those lazy summer days. And maybe, we can begin to enjoy them again as adults!
And away we go !!!
1. Strawberries – my all time favorite fruit!!!!!! Nothing makes me think of summer more, than a strawberry
2. Swimming – time to get over our body hang ups – take off the damn t-shirt and enjoy the water!!!
3. Sprinklers – running in and out of the sprinklers in the grass. What says summer more?
4. Day Camp – ok – this could be an entire book – but I had to include it on my summer list
5. Lemonade – pink or yellow – with some ice cubes…. Sitting outside… it screams “lazy summer days”
6. ICES !!!! – as kids we made homemade ices out of orange juice and others out of yogurt (my mom was a health nut ) but I have come to see that store bought Luigis Italian Ices kicks tuchiss! (I don’t like watermelon flavor though…. The cherry ones are the best – especially when they just start to melt … so you get the yummy cold liquid with the ices….. yummmm)
7. Bike riding – how many of us still go bike riding??? My brother and I used to ride the bike paths for hours …. Good times man! But then I got older and somehow riding bikes was something girls just don’t do. Can someone PLEASE tell me how this unwritten rule came to be? If modesty is an issue – put some shorts underneath a skirt – and off you go!!!
8. WATERMELON – this is very different from enjoying regular summer fruits. Watermelon eating is an activity on its own! You count the seeds… you get juice all over your arms… its intense. (and a lovely memory)
9. The Library – who wants to be indoors when its gorgeous outside?! Ha! Well, there is something awesome about summer reading .. and picking out some wonderful books at the library. For adults they call it “beach reading” or “chick lit” either way, it’s a nice relaxing summer activity.
10. BBQ’s – my dad, never the outdoorsy type wasn’t big on BBQ’s and I could probably count the times we had them on one hand. But BBQ’s are amazing!!! Hot dogs on a bun with ketchup… the ultimate finger food and perfect for kids (and adults too!)…. (and then you have to have watermelon for dessert )
11. FIREWORKS !!!!! July 4th means ONE thing …. (after enjoying a BBQ) and that is FIREWORKS !!! Sure, when you’re a small tot these can be a little scary, but they are exhilarating all the same. Take a blanket… some glow sticks… maybe some candy (ooh did I just advocate eating candy???) and enjoy the National Holiday !!!
12. Ice Cream – this too is separate from the Ices category. As a kid, after July 4th fireworks – we used to visit the Carvel ice cream store , and till today I maintain that this is the BEST ice cream in the world!!! Even if you don’t eat Carvel, and choose to enjoy “Kleins” – go get some !!! (and don’t forget to put sprinkles on top!!)
13. Late Nights …. No school, no bedtime !!! ok, maybe I still had a bedtime, but no homework, no pressure…. Only fun stuff
14. Getting up late! As kids we were able to sleep later because there was no school bus to catch but yet I remember getting up on time anyway because I wanted to get to the park!!!!
15. Arts n Crafts – I was always a girly girl – and the summertime was when I used to do beads and make necklaces, bracelets and all kinds of glittery sparkly things. For you boys out there – well, if you choose to make beaded necklaces, I wont tell on you
16. Vacations !!! This varied from year to year, but I still have wonderful memories… one summer I joined my aunt and cousins in the country at a Lake House where I got to swim and hang out on the beach… play card games with my Bubby and eat lots of yummy goodies. Another summer my family went to a Resort upstate – where we went swimming, went horse back riding, and did other random activities. Granted, these things might not be in the budget for everyone every summer – but even doing it once, the memories (and pictures) remain forever.
17. Along the same lines — BEACH DAY!!!!!! At what age did the beach suddenly become about listening to the Ipod and getting a killer tan? It used to be about seashells, making sand castles and burying your little brother in the sand!!! (and coming home with Sand EVERYWHERE)
18. Lemonade Stands — my friend suggested I include this in my 20 summer activities list. But I told her I NEVER made one!! Is that still counted? So we decided I should DEFINITELY include it, because it’s a CLASSIC summer activity … and imagine making a Lemonade Stand as an adult? I’m thinking spiked lemonade – and you can Tweet and Facebook coupons to your friends!!!
19. MY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! No wonder the summer has always been my favorite season — its my BIRTHDAY !!!! July 6th – will always be the best day in the ENTIRE year – and DON’T YOU forget it (this is the culmination of all great summer things – the pool party, the ices, the ice cream, the BBQ, the fireworks and top it all off with PRESENTS…) Who wouldn’t love summer with such a fun birthday?!
20. Once again —- I did NOT come up with 20 things, but only 19. ….
YOUR TURN !!!!
Leave a comment of your favorite summer activity when you were a kid… and maybe its time to revisit it again this summer….
As for me …. I’m going swimming!!!!!! (after I finish my strawberries )
Have a wonderful Summer !!!!